To prevent fake tan from coming off in a pool, use a waterproof self-tanner or bronzer. These products are designed to handle exposure to water and can withstand the effects of chlorine.
Swimming is a great way to cool off and relax, but it can be frustrating when your fake tan starts to come off in the pool. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to prevent this from happening.
One of the most effective methods is to use a waterproof self-tanner or bronzer. These products are specifically designed to withstand exposure to water and can resist the effects of chlorine. In this article, we’ll explore a few other tips and tricks for keeping your fake tan intact while enjoying a swim.
The Problem With Fake Tanning And Swimming
Fake tanning is a popular trend for those looking to achieve a sun-kissed glow without the harmful uv rays of the sun or tanning beds. However, when it comes to swimming in pools, fake tans can prove to be problematic.
The chemicals used in pools can cause fake tan to come off, which can result in embarrassing streaks and discoloration. In this post, we will delve into why fake tan and swimming don’t mix, and what you can do to prevent your fake tan from washing away in the pool.
Explain The Issue Of Streaks And Discoloration Caused By Pool Water
Fake tan typically lasts for a few days to a week, and it can be easily removed by exfoliating or showering. However, when fake tan comes into contact with chlorinated water, it can cause it to fade or even come off in blotches.
This can result in unsightly streaks and discoloration, and can even ruin a perfectly good fake tan.
To prevent this from happening, it’s essential to understand why pool water causes fake tan to come off. Chlorine, which is used to disinfect pool water, can break down the oils and chemicals in fake tan, causing it to fade or bleach out completely.
Additionally, the high alkaline levels in pool water can strip away the natural oils in your skin, making it even harder for your fake tan to adhere to your skin.
To illustrate this problem, let’s take a look at some real-life examples:
- Jane went swimming in her friend’s pool while wearing a brand new fake tan. To her horror, the fake tan started to come off in the water, leaving behind unsightly streaks and blotches on her skin.
- Mark used a self-tanner before heading to a pool party. While swimming in the pool, he noticed that his fake tan had faded significantly, leaving him with a patchy and uneven skin tone.
As you can see, fake tanning and swimming don’t mix. However, there are steps you can take to prevent your fake tan from fading or coming off in the pool.
How To Prep Your Skin Before Fake Tanning
If you want to prolong the life of your fake tan and prevent it from coming off in the pool, it’s essential to prep your skin correctly. Here are some tips to get you started:
Discuss The Importance Of Exfoliation To Remove Dead Skin Cells
Exfoliating your skin before applying fake tan products helps to remove dead and flaky skin cells, making your skin appear smoother and evenly toned. It also helps to remove other substances that may inhibit the absorption of the tanning product.
Here’s how to exfoliate your skin:
- Use a gentle exfoliating scrub or glove to rub over your skin.
- Focus on rough areas like elbows, knees, and ankles.
- Avoid abrasive exfoliation, which can irritate the skin.
Recommend Using A Moisturizer To Hydrate The Skin Before Applying Fake Tan Products
Applying a moisturizer to your skin before applying fake tan products helps keep it hydrated, making it less likely for the tanning product to adhere to dry skin patches, resulting in a streaky appearance. Here’s what you should do:
- Apply a lightweight moisturizer to your skin.
- Wait until it has fully absorbed into your skin before applying the tanning product.
- Don’t use a heavy-duty moisturizer that may clog your pores.
Provide Some Helpful Tips On Avoiding Areas That May Cause Over-Absorption
Certain parts of your body, like your knuckles, knees, and elbows, may cause the fake tan product to over-absorb, resulting in a darker patch. Here are some tips to avoid over-absorption:
- Only use small amounts of products on these areas.
- Blend these areas cautiously, so the tanning product can distribute evenly.
- Always wash your hands after applying tanning products.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your fake tan lasts longer and doesn’t come off in the pool.
Choosing The Right Fake Tanning Product
Fake tanning products are an excellent way to achieve that gorgeous, sun-kissed look. However, wearing a fake tan can be tricky – especially on pool days. You never know if you will end up leaving unsightly orange streaks behind in the water.
So, how can you make sure that your fake tan won’t come off in the pool? The answer lies in choosing the right fake tanning product.
Discuss The Different Types Of Fake Tanning Products (Sprays, Gels, Creams, Lotions, Etc.), And Their Various Pros And Cons:
There are several types of fake tanning products out there. Let’s explore the different options along with their pros and cons:
- Spray tans: Spray tanning involves using a spray to apply the tanning solution. It can create a beautiful finish and is suitable for all skin types but might not get the best results around ankles and wrists.
- Self-tanning creams: These are easy to apply but can leave streaks if not spread evenly.
- Foams and mousses: Quick and easy to apply, they dry fast, but have a higher alcohol content and can dry out your skin.
- Gels: They create a long-lasting effect but need a certain amount of caution during application.
- Tanning wipes: They are great for quick touch-ups, but they may not provide a subtle or natural look.
Highlight The Importance Of Checking The Ingredients To Make Sure They’Re Safe For Pool Use:
Not all self-tanning products are created equal, and some may not be suitable for use in the pool. When you shop for a tanning product, look for ingredients that make it suitable to use around water.
Make sure the product has:
- Dha as the active ingredient
- Paraben-free formulation
- Natural oil and moisture to keep skin hydrated
Compare Popular Products And Provide Recommendations:
Here are our top recommendations for fake tanning products that won’t come off in the pool:
- St. tropez self tan classic bronzing mousse: This mousse is easy to apply and lasts up to ten days.
- Bali body self tanning mousse: This lightweight self-tanning foam has a quick-dry formulation, is enriched with nourishing oils, and gives a streak-free finish.
- Jergens natural glow daily moisturizer: A budget-friendly daily moisturizer that builds a subtle and natural-looking tan over time.
Choose the product that suits your skin type, color preference, and desired finish. By following this guide, you’re all set and ready to take a dip without worrying about your fake tan fading away in the pool.
Applying Your Fake Tan – The Right Way
Getting a perfect summer tan is great, but nothing is worse than fake tan coming off in the pool. We’ve put together some top tips to help prevent this from happening so you can relax and enjoy your time in the water.
Apply Your Fake Tan Evenly
One of the most important things to remember when applying fake tan is to apply it evenly. Pay special attention to those hard-to-reach areas like your back, feet and hands. Apply the tan in circular motions ensuring that every inch of skin is covered.
Avoid Streaks And Dark Spots
Using a mitt application tool is a great way to avoid streaks and dark spots. The tool helps to ensure a more even coverage, and it’s easy to reach those difficult areas too. If you don’t have a mitt, wear a pair of gloves to apply the tan.
Some additional tips to avoid streaks and dark spots include:
- Exfoliate your skin before applying the tan
- Use a light touch around your ankles, knees, and elbows
- Apply the product in layers to avoid dark spots
Gradual Tanning Products For A More Natural-Looking Tan
If you’re new to fake tanning, or you’re looking for a more natural-looking tan, consider using gradual tanning products. Rather than a deep, all-over tan, these products provide a subtle glow that can be built up over time.
The benefits of using gradual tanning products include:
- You can achieve your desired tan gradually
- They’re less likely to stain clothes and sheets
- They’re easier to apply, as there’s less pressure to get the application perfect in one go
Overall, by following these tips and tricks, you can ensure that your fake tan stays put and looks great while enjoying your time in the pool. Happy tanning!
Maintenance Tips For Your Poolside Fake Tan
Maintaining a gorgeous fake tan takes effort, particularly when it comes to poolside lounging. If you’re tired of your faux glow fading away, don’t fret! The following maintenance tips for your poolside fake tan will offer tips on how to make your tan last longer.
Discuss The Importance Of Rinsing Off Before Swimming
Before jumping into the pool, give your skin a thorough rinse with fresh water. Chlorine from the pool can interact with oils, minerals, and other ingredients in your latest sunless tanning solution, causing patchiness or premature fading. Rinsing your skin prior to swimming helps to prevent this.
- Before entering the pool, take a quick rinse with fresh water.
Offer Suggestions For Prolonging The Life Of Your Fake Tan, Like Avoiding Excessive Chlorine Interaction
If you want to keep your fake tan in tip-top condition, there are a few maintenance tips you can follow:
- Reapply your fake tan after every swim as chlorine causes fading.
- Don’t soak for prolonged periods in the pool.
- Avoid using the hot tub as the high temperature can shorten the life of your tan.
- Moisturize daily after your swim, as this helps to keep the surface looking smooth and hydrated.
Provide Emergency Solutions For Fixing Unwanted Streaks Or Discoloration
Fake tan not looking as flawless as you’d like? Try the following tips:
- Exfoliate with a gentle scrub to help remove the patchiness.
- Lemon juice or baking soda can also help blend in unsightly streaks or spots.
- Invest in a gradual tanner to add a little color to struggling areas.
- Wear long-lasting swimwear to keep from damaging the vulnerable fake tan areas.
By following these easy maintenance tips for your poolside fake tan, you can enjoy a beautiful bronze glow, even at the pool. Don’t let fading or streaks cramp your style and keep enjoying the summer sun!
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Stop Fake Tan Coming Off In Pool
How Long Should I Wait Before Swimming After Applying Fake Tan?
It’s best to wait at least 4-6 hours before swimming after applying fake tan. This allows the tan to fully develop and adhere to your skin.
Can I Wear Sunscreen With Fake Tan To Prevent It From Coming Off?
Yes, you should always wear a water-resistant sunscreen with fake tan to prevent it from coming off in the pool. Apply sunscreen after fake tan has fully dried.
Does Exfoliating Before Applying Fake Tan Prevent It From Coming Off In The Pool?
Yes, exfoliating your skin before applying fake tan helps to remove dead skin cells, resulting in a more even tan application. This can help prevent fake tan from coming off in the pool.
How Often Should I Apply Fake Tan If I’M Swimming Regularly?
If you’re swimming regularly, you may need to reapply fake tan every 2-3 days to maintain a consistent tan. Avoid chlorine exposure and always wear sunscreen.
Is It Better To Use A Spray Or Lotion Fake Tan For Swimming?
Both spray and lotion fake tans can work for swimming. However, lotion fake tans tend to have a longer-lasting effect and are better for those who swim regularly.
Having a fake tan is a great way to enhance your confidence and glow. It is undoubtedly frustrating when it fades away or comes off in water. However, by following the tips mentioned in this blog post, you can enjoy your time in the pool without worrying about your fake tan.
Remember to exfoliate and hydrate your skin before applying fake tan, use a water-resistant formula, wait for at least six hours before getting into the water, avoid rubbing your skin, and reapply the fake tan as needed. These steps will help you maintain your desired tan while swimming and prevent it from coming off in the pool.
So go ahead, jump into the pool, and flaunt your gorgeous tan with confidence!